Beta-carotene rich, ginger-infused squash and carrot soup that is hearty and creamy thanks to coconut milk. A great starter and way to get your veggies in during quarantine.
- 600 Grams butternut Squash
- 5 carrots, peeled. I used 3 large and 2 medium carrots (More squash can be subbed in instead, or squash can be subbed with carrots for all carrot or all squash soup)
- 1x 950ml carton vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 cans coconut milk full fat
- Gingerroot finely minced, 2.5-4.5tbsp
- 1 white Onion chopped
- one minced clove of garlic or a pinch of Garlic powder
- 1 1/3 tsp sweet paprika
- 2/3 tsp Coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Melt coconut oil or butter flavor coconut oil. Sauté onion for a few mins til translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and saute til fragrant about 1min,stirring often to avoid burning.add chopped carrot and saute 1 minute.
- add squash and coconut milk and all spices and herbs,mix.
- if the veg isnt covered entirely in liquid add a generous dash of water.
- bring to boil then reduce heat to medium.
- cook for about 27-35minutes until both veggies are very tender, if needed add a splash of water.
- adjust seasoning to taste and if you like it thinner mix in a splash if water and cook a minute longer.
- Puree with Immersion blender or cool and transfer to blender.
Top with pomegranate airils or pepitas (roasted pumpkin seeds) or toasted sesame seeds.