one 12 pack of frozen tart shells
One 18 pack of mini frozen shells
Don’t worry, the filling for one pumpkin pie fills all those tarts!
- 400ml can pumpkin puree
- Slightly Heaping 1/2 cup (scant 3/4 cup) canned full fat coconut milk or canned coconut cream, top cream part only (if necessary, chilling it a few hours helps it separate)
- 1 Cup Coconut sugar and/or brown sugar (or regular sugar which tastes a bit sweeter. do use some Coconut or brown sugar adds a caramely taste. A mix of white and brown sugar can be used with a tsp of molasses to deepen the flavor or about a heaping 3/4 cup of maple syrup can be used)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Tbsp pumpkin pie spice (or a diy blend of slightly heaping 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground ginger. Plus If your pumpkin pie spice mix doesn’t contain cloves or all spice, add a 1/4 tsp of all spice and 1/8 tsp of ground cloves or mace, optional)
- Tsp vanilla extract
- One frozen regular or deep dish pie shell (deep dish doesnt seem that much deeper from the one I’ve tried) (dairy free and/or gf if necessary, or paleo almond flour pie shell, frozen, storebought or homemade)
- Thaw frozen tarts for 10 min at room temp then take apart the rows of shells. Preheat oven to 375. Place tarts on 2 sheet pans (if using different sized tarts, put the small ones all on one tray and the medium ones on the other). Mix all filling ingredients except the eggs in a mixing bowl. stir the coconut smooth. whisk in eggs with a whisk.
- Pour into crust. An extra step once you’ve put it on a sheet pan is to gently tap it on the counter to release air bubbles ( I forgot to in the below pic of the pie (i made a few pies) and didnt have a spatula on hand so that time mine wasn’t perfectly smooth as the one above, no biggie).
- bake for about 30 minutes or more or crust starts to golden and a toothpick comes out clean (note: with two oven trays or larger tarts this may take longer, especially for the larger tarts). turning it halfway through for even baking (if you have a new powerful oven it may be ready a little quicker or the oven can be turned down to 350). Bake until it starts to solidify. It is ok if the middle is still slightly jiggly, it will thicken as the custard cools. If desired while hot dust with coconut sugar for caramely taste.
- let it cool at least 1-1.5 hours to set since its a custard with eggs. after it cools for approx over an hour it can be refrigerated to help it set. th elonger it cools the more solid and fudgey it gets, but after two hours it will look like the one in my picture.
- with a pastry brush, brush maple syrup mixed with an optional pinch cinnamon in bowl and over cooled tarts. If desired, top with whip.
Categories: healthy dairy free recipes
Leave a Reply