A festive seasonal Christmas salad with chestnuts!
common qs: what do chestnuts taste like? what are the health benefits of chestnuts?
they have a mild nutty taste and have an almost meaty texture, and they have health benefits as their nutritional content is very high, they are a great source of manganese and other minerals and vitamins.
- walnut oil or olive oil, for sauteeing
- 200 grams chesntuts, peeled and cooked, ready to eat
- good pinch ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice, optional
- sea salt
kale salad ingredients:
- a bunch of kale, chopped, tough stems removed
- olive oil, generous, for massaging the kale in
- tbsp of balsamic or sherry vinegar
- big handful of cranberries
- 1 pomegranate, seeded, for juiciness
- walnuts and optional coconut flakes, for topping
- optional, finely chopped italian parsley or dill, for garnish
heat oil in a pan over medium heat, mix the chestnuts, spices, and salt in a bowl. saute them for for 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
in the meantime massage the kale. pour generous olive oil over the kale and massage with hands for a few minutes. then add balsamic vinegar and sea salt and all the other ingredients including chestnuts and toss. top with coconut last, if using as it will brown quickly from the balsamic.
for more health benefits of chestnuts inlcuding mineral content see this source